Becoming a Society Member
Membership of your local professional association – the Law Society of Tasmania – gives you access to valuable information and support throughout your career, and also provides a unique opportunity to link up with other members of the profession. The Society offers a wide range of products and services to its members. There are many benefits to becoming a Society member, see Benefits of membership below.
To become a Society member you need to join up. To learn more about the joining-up process, you will want to read the information at Apply for a Practising Certificate or Associate Membership HERE. There are two types of Society memberships.
- Apply to become an Associate member (including student and government memberships) which is available to those who do not need a practising certificate to practice law in Tasmania; are law students; or are working in a management or support capacity in the legal industry.
- Apply for a practising certificate which provides membership as a default to holding a current practising certificate issued by the Society in Tasmania. If you do not have a local practising certificate and want to apply, see HERE.
As a legal practitioner membership of your local professional association gives you access to valuable information and support throughout your career, and also provides a unique opportunity to link up with other members of the profession.
For more information about joining the Society, see Apply for a Practising Certificate or Associate Membership.
What are your member benefits?
One of the main functions of the Society is to provide services to its members to assist in maintaining high standards of practice in the legal profession in this State. A range of products and services are exclusively provided to Society members such as:
- The Law Letter – the Society’s law journal
- Weekly member newsletter
- Weekly Continuing Professional Development (CPD) newsletter
- Reasonable or no cost CPD events
- Access to member-only resources and information
- Access to local and online library services and resources – see Library Services
- LawCare counselling service
- Discounts and exclusive benefits for Qantas Club membership; car purchases; health insurance; Hertz car rental; and accommodation