A reminder that all Tasmanian law practices insured through the Law Society professional indemnity insurance scheme are automatically covered by a foundational ($50,000) cyber risk insurance policy.
One of the first calls you should make:
CBP Lawyers Response Team
To notify a cyber event under the policy
Phone: 1800 BREACH (1800 273 224)
The Response Team will, after confirming coverage:
- Triage your matter to ensure the practice is put in contact with the right people, which may include a provider on its panel of IT security consultants (e.g. Zirilio).
- Assist, in conjunction with the IT provider, in assessing whether a security breach has occurred and if so will assist with system isolation and remediation.
- Provide advice as to whether a notifiable data breach under the Privacy Act has occurred if so, who to contact or whether an exemption applies.
- Work with the firm to assess whether there is a claim for loss of income / business interruption as a result of the cyber event.
- Subject to the circumstances, may advise or work with the firm to manage extortion claims and payment of ransom (after all other solutions have been exhausted).
Further information about the policy, including limits, excess amounts, and what is and is not covered, is available here.