In 2021, Tasmania Legal Aid announced the inaugural Legal Aid Award recognising the contribution by a private practitioner or firm in delivering legal aid. The Award recognises the important role private practitioners play in delivering services to vulnerable and marginalised Tasmanians. When the award is offered, Tasmania Legal Aid calls for nominations for practitioners who have made a significant contribution to the delivery of legal aid services to clients. The winner’s details are forwarded to the Society, and announced at the following Opening of the Legal Year Dinner. This award is for Contribution to the Provision of Legal Aid Services to the Tasmanian Community.
The nominations for Tasmania Legal Aid’s Access to Justice award are assessed against the nominees’ contributions to:
- Helping our diverse Tasmanian Community access legal services, address their legal problems, understand their rights; navigate the system and to get the assistance they need; and
- Working for better laws and an effective legal system.
Nominations are also assessed against the Practitioners’ reflections of TLA’s values of:
- Honesty – providing clear, accurate and realistic advice to clients;
- Courage – the practitioner’s preparedness to advocate for their clients, the sector and to be open to new ideas and feedback; and
- Engagement – the practitioner’s willingness to work with others to get the best outcome for their clients and to improve the legal system.