- President Amber Scott – Rae & Partners
- Vice-President Callum Tregurtha – Matthew Verney Lawyers
- Secretary Sophie Warren – Tasmania Legal Aid – Burnie
- Treasurer Amy Cawston – Rae & Partners
- CPD Coordinator Jade Standaloft – Women’s Legal Service (Tas) Inc.
General members 2021-2022
- Caitlin Johnson – Rae & Partners
- Helen Bassett – Walsh Day James Mihal
- Aysha Williams – McLean, McKenzie & Topfer
- Amit Sarma – Tasmania Police Prosecution
The North-West Young Lawyers Committee (NWYLC) is a committee that promotes the interests of early career Tasmanian legal professions on the north-west coast. The NWYLC is comprised of early career practitioners from local firms as well as members of Tasmania Legal Aid, Tasmania Police and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
The NWYLC welcomes members located from Latrobe though to Smithton and holds events in Devonport, Ulverstone and Burnie. The NWYLC meets monthly to discuss matters for practitioners in the north-west. The NWLC committee also hosts regular social events such as bimonthly dinners, bi-monthly Friday night drinks and the annual quiz night. Additionally, each year the NWYLC committee has the privilege of hosting the Tasmanian Legal Practice Course students for a tour of the north-west coast and to drinks and dinner with the NW Profession. The NWYCL otherwise co-ordinates with the Law Society of Tasmania and other local Young Lawyers Committees to host Continuing Professional Development (CPD events) aimed at providing early career lawyers with essential skills for practice.
The key goal of the NWYLC is to promote the north-west coast as an area for practice and to support the retention of practitioners on the north-west coast. In achieving this goal the NWYLC not only supports early career lawyers, but supports law graduates who are about to enter the profession, and encourages them to seek the opportunities for practice that the NW provides.
To contact this committee and/or join our Facebook group click here.