Download the Society’s Strategic Plan 2022-2025 here
The Law Society of Tasmania is a peak industry and statutory body that regulates legal practice in the State of Tasmania, represents and upholds the independence of the legal profession in Tasmania, and advocates for a fair and just legal system for all Tasmanians.
The Law Society of Tasmania:
- Carries out with diligence, efficacy, and fairness its functions prescribed by the Legal Profession Act 2007.
- Promotes and fosters excellence and integrity within the legal profession.
- Consults with and robustly represents the legal profession on matters affecting the profession and the practice of law.
- Provides valuable services to support the welfare of legal practitioners and maintain high standards of practice in Tasmania.
- Advocates without fear or favour for a just legal system.
- Contributes meaningfully to ongoing law reform and the making of good law.
The Society both as an employer and an industry leader embraces and promotes the following core values:
Primary Objectives / Duties
- Undertake the Law Society’s statutory functions as the prescribed authority and regulator of the legal profession.
- Administer the Law Society.
- Represent the legal profession on matters affecting the profession and legal practice and safeguard the independence of the legal profession.
- Support the interests and welfare of members of the profession.
- Safeguard the rule of law and access to justice.
- Contribute to law reform and the evolution of the justice system.