Did you know 1 in 3 Aussies will need blood or blood products in their lifetime – yet only 1 in 30 donates?
Blood donations are critical to Australia’s healthcare system. Some patients need donated blood to get them through cancer, trauma or a difficult pregnancy, while others require life-saving treatments made from the yellow part of blood, called plasma.
With an estimated 20 percent of the nation’s donors been unable to donate in recent weeks due to record numbers of people isolating or unwell with COVID-19, we are inviting you get involved in this year’s Legal Services Blood Challenge.
This three-month challenge provides tangible outcomes for our team: we’ll be able to count the amount of donations made through our Lifeblood Team. More importantly, given 1 blood donation has the power to save up to 3 lives, we’ll be able track the amount of lives saved and can view our online tally throughout the challenge.
How to get involved:
- Register a blood donor account if you don’t already have one – you can register online
- Join our Lifeblood Team – just follow the step-by-step instructions on how to join your team
- Book a time to give life. You can donate at your nearest donor centre. Provided you are signed up to our Lifeblood Team, your donation will be counted towards our team’s tally and the overall challenge total!
For those who enjoy some friendly competition, there are team awards up for grabs to include most donations, most plasma donations and most new donors!
What about eligibility?
You can check if you are able to donate by taking an eligibility quiz.
- If you’ve had a COVID-19 jab, please wait 3 days before donating.
- If you’re recovering from COVID-19, please wait 7 days before donating.
For personal queries about eligibility, please call 13 14 95 to get the best advice.
On behalf of the recipients, who are reliant on blood and plasma donations, we thank you for considering the above!