Members of the legal profession and public can visit the Tasmanian Law Libraries located in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie to view the physical resources held in each collection.
To access the full range of services and online resources offered by the Tasmanian Law Library requires a subscription. For more information, see the Law Library website.
What services do the library offer?
The Tasmanian Law Library, can assist with research needs. The staff are also available to provide a range of information services, and can:
- Assist with identifying and locating both primary and secondary legal resources.
- Provide training on the use of legal databases and help develop an appropriate search strategy which is both efficient and effective.
- Provide general assistance with legal research queries.
- Provide a weekly current awareness service to ensure subscribers are kept up to date with the latest developments in the law.
- Provide a virtual reference service 5 days per week between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm (Monday to Friday).
In addition to these services, the Library offers remote access to a wide range of electronic resources from a variety of subscription databases. Thousands of authoritative titles are accessible exclusively to subscribers. The external databases currently available through subscription are listed below.
- AGIS + Text Practitioner Access
- Australian and New Zealand Newsstream Practitioner Access
- Lexis Red Digital Library
- Oxford Scholarship Online : Law : Practitioner Access
- ProQuest Ebook Central
- WestLaw Practitioner Access
How to access these resources and service
Access to electronic content is via the library website. The Library also provides links to a wide range of free legal resources for ease of access, and eBooks are discoverable via its library catalogue. For additional information see the locations and contact details below.
Andrew Inglis Clark Law Library Hobart
Lower Ground Floor level, Supreme Court Building, 5 Salamanca Place, Hobart (opposite Parliament House). Access through Supreme Court Civil Building Foyer.
Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday – Friday
Phone: (03) 6165 7412
Launceston Law Library
Ground Floor, Staffordshire House, 56 Charles Street, Launceston
Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Phone: (03) 6331 2666
North West Law Library
1st Floor, Supreme Court Building, Alexander Street, Burnie
Hours: Contact the Andrew Inglis Clark Law Library on (03) 6165 7412 for assistance.