Read the Tips, Cheat Sheet and Checklist before getting started.
Before starting this application to renew your practising certificate read the tips and checklist below, and view this Cheat Sheet: A Guide to your Online Renewal in a Nutshell. Once you have checked the 2022-2023 Fee Guide and have all your necessary documents on hand, in the correct format, you are ready to start.
Apply to renew your practising certificate using this Renew a Practising Certificate Form.
- Ideally complete your form in one sitting and stay in your browser tab whilst completing your form. Do not refresh your browser.
- So you don’t lose your work, use ‘previous’ and ‘next’ in the form rather than ‘back’ and ‘forward’ in your internet browser.
- Links in the form are safe to click on as they will open a separate tab.
- If necessary, Save and Resume during your application process.
- Form Assist Service: If you require general assistance to complete your application form/s for the first time, contact us on (03) 6234 4133 to join. Bookings are required and your appointment will be conducted by Zoom to enable screen sharing.
- For technical issues, contact us Monday – Friday between 9am-5pm on (03) 6234 4133 or at email@example.com.
Important declaration: A declaration is required to be read and acknowledged by you prior to submitting your application form. The submission of this application form by you is treated as your signature equivalent.
Checklist – as applicable, have the following items handy before you start.
1. PDF statement – Eligibility to Apply (section 48 of the Legal Profession Act 2007): You will be asked where you intend to solely or principally engage in legal practice. If you answer outside Tasmania, provide details of your intended practice as a pdf’d statement and upload it during this application process.
2. PDF statement – Show Cause Events (Sections 4, 73, 74, 75 and 76 of the Legal Profession Act 2007):
– Bankruptcy: If you select yes to any of the following – you have become bankrupt, been served with a Notice of a Creditor’s Petition, presented or declared your intentions to present a Debtor’s Petition, or applied to take the benefit of any law for the relief of bankrupt or insolvent debtors or compounding with creditors or making an assignment of remuneration for the benefit of creditors – provide details as a pdf’d statement and upload it during this application process
– Notifiable offences: If you select yes to having been found guilty of a serious offence or tax offence whether committed in or outside Tasmania, provide details as a pdf’d statement and upload it during this application process. Note: The Society does not require disclosure of convictions for minor offences such as minor traffic or licensing offences and the like. There is no requirement to repeat disclosures already made to the Society in association with a previous application or renewal unless there has been a material change in the matter disclosed.
3. Part-Time Practitioners: You may be asked, depending on the practising certificate type, if you will be working part-time. This question relates to professional indemnity insurance and may give rise to a fee discount eligibility. Tick the part-time box only if you will be employed no more than 22.8 hours per week for the financial year 2022 – 2023 and will not work an average of more than 22.8 hours per week in that financial year.
4. Law Library Levy: You may be asked if you would like access to the Tasmanian Law Library resources (unless automatically included, depending on the practising certificate type). See the Fee Guide. The library has extensive hard copy and online materials and can assist you to identify and locate primary and secondary legal resources. Subscription also entitles you to Thompson Reuters desktop library services. For more information see Law Library Services and Resources.
5. Society Identity Card: Provide your headshot photo for issue of this ID if you’d like it. Practitioners use this ID primarily for law court security access, and to claim member benefits in person, such as retail discounts.
Important declaration: As stated above, a declaration is required to be read and acknowledged by you prior to submitting your application. The submission of this application form by you is treated as your signature equivalent.