For a detailed YL committee guide refer to the Young Lawyer Committee Guide, here. Young
A. YLC CPD coordinator
- All YLCs are to appoint a CPD coordinator at, or soon after, the AGM.
- The Society is to be notified of the coordinator’s contact details (phone and email) as soon as possible after the AGM to email@example.com.
- This coordinator is to be the CPD contact point with the Society to streamline CPD arrangements.
B. Alternative YLC CPD contact person
Where absolutely necessary, another YLC committee member can be nominated if they are arranging a CPD event and the CPD coordinator is (for some reason) unavailable. However, the Society is to be notified of their phone and email details at the time of confirming the CPD event with firstname.lastname@example.org.
C. CPD event planning
Each YLC is to provide the Society with its schedule of proposed CPD topics as early as possible in the new calendar year of the new committee’s term to avoid any conflict with the Society’s (and each other’s) scheduled CPD events. To avoid clashes, any unscheduled CPD (or the confirming of venues or presenters) is to be proposed in writing (with reasons) to, and planned in full consultation with, the Society. See the Historical Agreement of Scheduling in the YLC Guide.
D. CPD event bookings – securing your dates
The dates in Table 1a (Available YL CPD event dates for 2022) are pencilled into the Society calendar but are not secure until confirmed at least 6 weeks prior to the event date (*some dates excepted as asterisked). It is at the discretion of the YLC if a date is not utilised. A date cannot generally be replaced with another unscheduled date due to the reasons given in the Historical Agreement of Scheduling (see YLC Guide).
E. CPD event times
When considering and finalising a CPD event, YLCs are to follow the procedures as listed below.
- Use Forms A and B (A – Presenter Information and Consent Form; B – Committee Event Information and Checklist Form) to gather CPD event and presenter information.
- Ensure all the presenter information in the forms is completed, and emailed to email@example.com at the latest 6 weeks prior to the event.
- The Society will only list the event on its website when all relevant information is received – this includes a settled format – a) face to face; b) webinar or c) a hybrid of a) and b). If the format is to be a) or c) information must include a settled venue with appropriate technology/devices that can use zoom and is testable on site before the day); if the format is b, information must include that the presenter has appropriate technology/devices that can use zoom and is testable on site before the day.
- Send through presenter slides and/or paper at least 24 hours before the event, with instructions about whether the slides and/or paper are to be distributed before, at (F2F) or after the event.
- A YLC CPD listing will be removed from the Society website if the following critical information – CPD event title, presenter, and/or time – is changed within the 6 weeks leading to the CPD event. If the format is changed within 6 weeks of the event due to reasonable mitigating circumstances, the Society will consider alternative options. Otherwise the event can be rescheduled to another of the committee’s allocated dates.
F. CPD event evaluation
- A CPD presentation evaluation survey (Survey Monkey) will be emailed to attendees after each event by the Society. Once the survey is closed after approx.14 days, a copy of the summary will be emailed to the respective YLC president and YLC CPD coordinator for on sending to their presenter as soon as possible.
- Any feedback, or questions asked of the presenter (in the survey), is to be sent to the presenter along with the thank you correspondence, within a month of the event.
G. The CPD event – in-person and Livestreamed
The YLC CPD contact person is to:
- attend the venue or login to Zoom at least 10 minutes early;
- set up the room including any banners etc;
- schedule an event simulation run through with the Society on the technology (including Chat Box**) to ensure its smooth running. Most CPD events are live-streamed to rural/remote practitioners – please note that the Society will not proceed with the event if this simulation run through has not been undertaken by the YLC committee representatives hosting the event in the room at the time of the live event;
- be available to meet and greet the presenter and all other guests (chair, facilitator, panellists etc);
- welcome attendees and ensure they sign the CPD registration sheet;
- introduce the presenter/s and run through housekeeping such as emergency exits and toilets etc;
- thank the presenter/s at the end of the presentation (and offer a gift if relevant);
- remind attendees to fill in the event feedback survey (as it helps inform future events);
- remain until the last attendee has left the Society;
- leave the room clean and tidy (removing left over event materials) and, if any catering is supplied, clear away dishes, stack and turn on dishwasher; and
- turn off lights. (The Society will turn off any technology that it has provided).
**The Chat Box – for an event combining F2F and live-stream
As we move to F2F events post the 2020 COVID19 change to the more powerful zoom webinar platform, most F2F events are now also offered live-stream to participants attending remotely. This means there is an additional role for the YL CPD event coordinator (or delegate) on the day.
Chat Box Function: In the zoom webinar environment participants can only interact with the presenters through the Chat Box. This requires the CPD coordinator (or delegate) to be prepared to monitor the Chat Box and pass on participant questions/comments to the presenter. The Society will take you through this either prior to the event on the day (F2F) or in the run through session (livestreamed).
The CPD event – webinar
- It is essential that the Society has the presenter’s email address and mobile for zoom arrangements.
- A Practical Guide to Presenting, here, is to be included in early correspondence with your presenters.
Webinar link for registrants
- The Society will create the registrant webinar link with a password and email details directly to registrants.
- Papers and/or slide PDFs will be sent in that email if the YLC has previously provided instructions that slides and/or paper are to be distributed before the event.
- Any presenter materials are to be supplied by the YLC at the latest 24 hours before the live event.
Webinar link for presenter (and YLC event organiser)
Both the presenter’s and YLC event organiser’s zoom link will be generated by the Society and sent to each, individually, 24 hours before the webinar.
Presenter zoom run through session
- The YLC is to inform the presenter that a zoom webinar run through is essential.
- The Society will host this zoom run through session with you and your presenter/s.
- The YLC event organiser is to ensure the presenter zoom run through session is scheduled for a few days before their live event, and to liaise with presenter about this session, ascertaining with 2-3 proposed times and dates.
- For this presenter session, a zoom link will be generated by the Society and sent directly to the presenter.
- The aim of this session is to simulate the live event so presenter needs to be at the location, and using the device they will use, for event on the day.
- The YLC event organiser is to ensure the presenter has their slides (or a draft version) available, and open on their desktop, to test screen share.
List of registrants
- The day before the event a list of registrants will be sent to the YLC event organiser for their records, and to be sent to presenter.
- Webinar registrations will close at 3pm on the event day. The Society will send the YLC an updated list if there are any last-minute registrations.
The live webinar
- The Society will open the webinar approximately 10 minutes before the scheduled broadcast time.
- The presenter will have been asked to log into the webinar at least 10 minutes before the live broadcast.
- A holding/welcome slide will be supplied by Society to be added to the top of the presenter’s slide pack.
- The Society will host and manage any logistical matters during the session.
- The Society will also record the event if prior consent has been received.
H. Summary of key deadlines
- Notification of CPD Coordinator contact details – as soon as possible after the AGM
- Notification of alternative CPD contact person details – at time of confirming the CPD event date
- Provide proposed schedule of CPD topics to the Society – as early as possible in the new calendar year of the committee’s term
- Confirm pencilled CPD event date – at the latest 6 weeks prior to the event
- Provide request and reasons for need to go outside the 4-5pm time slot – at the latest 6 weeks prior to the event
- Provide completed forms A and B – at the latest 6 weeks prior to the event
- Send through presenter’s slides and/or paper and whether either or both are to be distributed before, at (if F2F) or after the event – at the latest 24 hours prior to the event
For all YL CPD management and queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hobart (The Law Society of Tasmania)
Contact person: Amal Cutler
Phone: (03) 6234 4133
For technology issues and any other enquiries call the Society on (03) 6234 4133 or email email@example.com.